Friday 22 September 2017

√Day of the Raptor

9:10 - 14:45

Over 5 hours out and about on a beautiful sunny day (for the most part).
My walk today took me up Taylor Lane, over Soil Hill, down Coal Lane, across the plantation to Back Lane.

A right turn here up back lane to opposite the Giant's Tooth where a right turn took me across the moors to Foreside Lane top.

Down Foreside Lane and a bit of a circular jaunt along the Water Board permissive path before rejoining Foreside Lane.

Down Crag Lane and up to Asa Nicholson's cafe for a breather.

I followed Brighouse/Denholme Road to Raggalds and Bradshaw Lane home.

Nearing the Raggalds Flood a sudden heavy downpour caught me out, but I manged to get the waterproof trousers on in double quick time (albeit the wrong way round -  just turned my baseball cap 'tother way to compensate -  and all was fashionable again).

Birds:-

Taylor Lane: 

Sparrowhawk, Meadow Pipit, c30 Goldfinch, Kestrel.

Soil Hill: 9:30 (cool SSW breeze). 

2 Skylark, 2 Linnet, c15 Goldfinch, 2 Swallow, Meadow Pipits.

Ned Hill Track: 

Wren, Common Gull.

Coal Lane 10:35

c10 Goldfinch, 

Plantation Track: 

Swallow, 4 Pheasant

Back Lane to Foreside Lane Top: 

Little Owl, Sparrowhawk, 3 Kestrel (2 calling flying in and out of the conifer trees), Swallow.

Partridge flushed as I crossed the moor.

Butty Stop at a memorial seat on the moor top.

Foreside Lane Top 12:10 to Cafe:

Swallow, Meadow Pipit, Pied Wagtail, Kestrel.
Very distant Wheatear.

Crag Lane:

Pied Wagtail.

Asa Nicholson's: 13:15 - 14:00

Wensleydale Cheese, Fruit Cake and Coffee - excellent.

Cafe to Home:

Heron flying over the Shay below Soil Hill.
3 Swallow finding it tough going in the strong breeze.
Kestrel, c20 Goldfinch.

(6 Kestrel and 2 Sparrowhawk seen in total today - could well be the same bird in some instances though).

A really enjoyable walk with a well timed break at the cafe.

Dropped a bit of a clanger yesterday, got my Teal and Wigeon mixed up.
Rushed to put the blog out as my tea was heading for the dusty bin if I didn't 'finish that B blog'.... and then , after tea, I had a look through the pics and realised my error and corrected the blog.

(My birding rule book - excuse number 27 - if you make a mistake blame the wife).
Apologies to all.







Spot the Meadow Pipit







Soil Hill in the distance



Gulls - Distant photo towards Oxenhope Res (TMR)


Great place for my butty break - out of the wind




Very Distant Wheatear seen from Foreside Lane








2 comments: