Sunday 10 September 2017

√Double Soaker

Leeshaw 15:00. (ish).

A drive to Oxenhope this aft and after some light drizzle, heavy rain showers set in.

As I parked up a gentleman drew along side in a people carrier.
He was from North Wales and an avid follower of the West Yorkshire Birding blog. Having read the blog and on his way home from holiday on Teesside, he was hoping to see the Little Owl or Sparrowhawk, here, mentioned on the blog.

I don't think he was successful though - not surprising given the rain.

Very soon after the gentleman had left,  the West Yorkshire Birds blogman him himself - B.S. arrived.

Very soon after that ,I did pick out a Little Owl, on a broken down wall corner.
I had a butcher's for the gentleman to give him a whistle but his car had gone.

2 Cormorant, 14 Lesser Black-backed Gull and 8 Black Headed Gull were on the reservoir edge at one point with Gulls coming and going.
A Yellow Legged Gull (B.S.) dropped in on the far shore as I was leaving.

A Meadow Pipit and a solitary Swallow were braving the rain.

A Mistle Thrush flew across the lane oblivious to the rain and 5 more Mistle Thrush crossed the lane as I left.

Still it beats doing the Sunday crossword doesn't it?

Ogden 16:30

Having found a dry spot under one arm of my waterproof coat I though I might as well get it wet, so I called at Ogden (hoping something juicy had dropped in) on the homeward journey.

Pleasant enough for the first 5 mins then heavy rain for the duration of the outing.

C40 Gulls on the reservoir edge with a few Chaffinch in passerine alley.
Other than that a couple of calling Robin and not a lot else.

Still it beats doing the Sunday crossword doesn't it?

A bit repetitive this blog.

(A late evening check on Raggalds Flood yesterday found 6 Mallards and a few Jackdaws - but the weather is right to drop something in).

A few poor pics in the rain:

Leeshaw:





A Soggy Ogden:






No comments:

Post a Comment