Friday 20 April 2018

Oxenhope Area Reservoirs

10:45 - 15:15

A run out to some of the reservoirs in the Oxenhope area to see if anything juicy had dropped in.

The weather caught me out this morning, with my summer gear on I was greeted with a stiff cold breeze at Ponden and a temperature of 10 degrees (ish). The reservoir was damp and gloomy, just below the mist line.

I had a good walk about both the top and bottom areas of the reservoir.

Ponden:

Oystercatcher,  Lapwing, Common Sandpiper seen twice, could have been 2 birds though.
A bird that I thought was a Cuckoo, morphed into a Jay.
2 Greylag Geese, Lesser Black-backed Gull, 2 Moorhen.
Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler.

A Cuckoo called from beyond the Ponden Guest House buildings. I had a stroll towards the call and as I neared the area, the bird flew south across many fields to the conifers.

I thought that that was the end of my Cuckoo sighting for today.
As I was returning to the car, the bird re-appeared in a tree close by. Albeit, in shadow - a good do.

Lower Laithe had an Oystercatcher on the ironwork and a few distant Canada Geese on the drink.

Leeshaw:

Oystercatcher, Canada Geese, Greylag Geese, Kestrel, Lapwing, Meadow Pipit, Redshank. Lesser Black-backed Gull, Curlew, Cormorant.

Might have been a pr. Great Black-backed Gull on the water, but without seeing their leg colour I can't ID them properly.

A Orange/Brown weasel type, popped out of a wall, but not for long  - no photie alas.

Leeming:

3 Cormorant, 2 Pied Wagtail, 2 Grey Wagtail, Rook, Curlew, Willow Warbler, Kestrel, Song Thrush, Red Legged Partridge.
Pr. Kestrel overhead.
5 Greylag Geese landed as I was leaving.

Golden Plover seen along the way as well.

Being dragged to the park by Abigail - better get my skates on.

Ponden:-(Very Dull Morning)






Jay










Leeshaw:







Leeming:











Along the way:-


The sound of spring:-






No comments:

Post a Comment